8 Day Romantic Rhine
One of Europe’s most legendary rivers takes you across Germany and touches in Holland, France, and Switzerland!Request a quote
Jun 25, 2022
This magnificent Rhine River cruise begins in the ever popular, modern city of Amsterdam, Holland. Cruise on its famous canals along the elegant grachten--the best way to see the treasures of this 700-year-old city dating back to the “Golden Age.” Visit Cologne, Germany—a 2,000 year-old city known for its Gothic-style architecture—and see its famous twin-spired cathedral and Old Town with many shops, cafés, and taverns.
Sail through the dramatic Rhine Gorge—offering the most beautiful view of the Rhine River where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water. Cruise to the charming wine town of Rüdesheim and visit the unique Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum. Continue your Rhine River cruise to Mainz for a guided walk and visit to the captivating Gutenberg Museum, or take an excursion to Heidelberg to visit the ruins of its red-walled castle. In Strasbourg, France, marvel at the red-sandstone Gothic-style cathedral with ancient murals and fascinating astronomical clock. Also, stroll through the lovely La Petite France district with its quaint shops, delightful bistros, and peaceful waterfront promenade. Stop in Breisach, Germany, the gateway to Germany’s Black Forest. Here, find unrivaled natural beauty in the area best known for Black Forest ham, cherry cake, and the cuckoo clock.
Our cruise deal pricing almost always includes taxes, and where not, we make that very obvious. You always know what you’re paying for when you book with CruisePlus. We value transparency in our marketing so that you are able to compare pricing apples to apples with our competition.
Taxes & more!
- 7-night cruise in a Panorama Suite on the beautiful Vista
- The Avalon Vista's two full decks of suites feature two full decks of Panorama Suites with wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling panoramic windows that transform the living space into river cruising's only Open-Air Balcony.
- Onboard amenities include a Fitness Center, complimentary computer use in public areas and Wi-Fi access, and a spacious Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs, shade system, whirlpool, and the delightful Sky Bistro.
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Captain’s welcome & farewell receptions and dinners with sparkling wine and canapés
- Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. They invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. There are 3 types of included shore excursion on every Europe cruise: Classic, Discovery or Active
- Avalon’s expertise in each location is backed by award-winning tour leader, Globus—with more than 90 years of experience in showing the world to world travellers. With hundreds of staff on the ground, personalized service on board, and behind-the-scenes operation experts for vacations in over 75 countries around the world, they are privy to the best included and optional excursions available
- Onboard lectures, activities & entertainment
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Nordic walking sticks available onboard for complimentary check-out
- Onshore & Onboard experiences with regional customs, cultures & tastings with local artisans, experts & entertainers
Save $1300 per couple on select 2022 Avalon Waterways Europe river cruises!
Booking must be made and under deposit between January 5 and April 19, 2021
Day 1 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (EMBARKATION)
- Your day in Amsterdam is free to explore at your leisure.
- During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year.
- Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
Day 2 AMSTERDAM
- Canals of Colorful Amsterdam
- Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
- CLASSIC Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age."
- This afternoon choose among the Guided Optional Excursions available or take some free time to explore Amsterdam’s colorful streets and canal houses, galleries, and shops.
Day 3 COLOGNE, GERMANY
- Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland
- ACTIVE Enjoy a bike ride like the locals in Cologne with your Adventure Host, OR:
- DISCOVERY Choose a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites, OR:
- CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral.
- Spend free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years!
- Later, local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment.
Day 4 RÜDESHEIM
- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine Country
- Sail through the Rhine Gorge to Rüdesheim and past the legendary rock of the Lorelei—where the siren of mythology sang songs to lure ill-fated sailors.
- ACTIVE Enjoy a hike with your Avalon Adventure Host through the picturesque vineyards of Rüdesheim, OR:
- DISCOVERY Take a Guided Tour of the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat.
- Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
Day 5 MAINZ. EXCURSION TO HEIDELBERG
- Printing Halls, Castle Walls, and the World’s Biggest Wine Barrel
- ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below, OR:
- CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Walk, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the captivating history of printing, OR:
- CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel”.
Day 6 STRASBOURG, FRANCE
- A Grand Cathedral and La Petite France
- Ask about today’s energizing or relaxing Adventure Host activities.
- ACTIVE Discover Strasbourg by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
- CLASSIC Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.
- Choose a Guided Optional Excursion to the historic Maginot Line—the pre-WWII fortifications designed to protect the eastern border of France, or visit Alsace’s wine country today.
- Alternatively, take some free time in Strasbourg to visit a museum, or stroll across the city center.
Day 7 BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST
- German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest
- DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration, OR:
- DISCOVERY Visit to Badischer Winzerkeller, the largest German wine producer in Europe. Learn about German winemaking in the vineyards of Baden, and enjoy a wine tasting.
- You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming village of Colmar in the morning, with half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings.
Day 8 BASEL, SWITZERLAND (DISEMBARKATION)
- Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
Request Your Quote
A CruisePlus consultant will contact you